Skip to content

Marriage License Application FAQs

Answers to questions about marriage license applications

Following are answers to common questions about applying for a marriage license.

Court employees can answer general questions about the process, but they can’t answer questions about the law or give legal advice. If you have a legal question or you need legal advice, you must ask an attorney.

How much does a license cost?
A marriage license is $85.50. You will also be charged a $2.14 fee if you pay by credit or debit card, or a $1.25 fee if you pay by electronic check.

Am I required to submit documents or show identification when I apply for a marriage license?

What if I don't know the date of my divorce?
Enter 99/99/9999 as the date.

What if I don't have a social security number?
Enter 999-99-9999 as the number.

How long is the marriage license valid, or how long before it expires?
A marriage license is valid for six months from the date it is issued by the clerk. If you do not get married within that six months, you must apply for a new marriage license. 

Are there age requirements to get a marriage license?
You must be 18 years old to get a marriage license, unless you receive permission from a parent, guardian, or a judge.

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you will need a parent or guardian to complete the consent form. A judge may give consent if both parents are deceased and you do not have a legal guardian.

If you are 15 years old, a judge may give consent and issue the marriage license if the marriage is in the best interest of the individual. Otherwise, a license will not be issued to anyone under 16 years old.

If I am 16 or 17, how do I show my parent or guardian’s consent to get married?
You should apply for the marriage license first. If you are 16 or 17, the court clerk will send you a consent form.

Who can perform a marriage ceremony?
Kansas law (K.S.A. 23-2504) lists who is authorized to perform a marriage ceremony. Generally, the list includes:

  • clergy of a religious denomination;

  • licensees of church or religious denomination;

  • current and retired judges; or

  • the parties, in some circumstances.

Do I need to include the name of the officiant at the time I apply for my license?

What is a proxy marriage?
A proxy marriage is a marriage ceremony where the individuals getting married are not in the same physical location during the ceremony.

Will the Office of Vital Statistics accept a proxy marriage?
Yes, as long as the officiant and one party are in Kansas and two witnesses are able to view the ceremony.

Will the Office of Vital Statistics accept electronic signatures from the officiant and the witnesses?

What if I don’t have an officiant?
Kansas law (K.S.A. 23-2504) allows for two people to announce they take each other as husband and wife and be married without an authorized officiant.

How do I change my name?
Complete the section on the application for name change. Make sure you enter your name exactly as you want it to be.  

If I don’t list on the marriage license application that I want to change my last name, can I do that later?
Yes. You will need to file a petition with the district court asking that your name be changed. Also, you will need to pay a filing fee. 

What happens after I apply for a marriage license?
Once you submit your marriage license application, an alert is sent to the court clerk. The clerk processes the application and creates the marriage license to send to you. Processing can take two weeks from the date of your application. 

How long will it take to get a marriage license?
Allow at least two weeks from the date of your application. 

I don't know the date that I will get married. Do I need to include the date when I apply for my marriage license?
No. However, the license expires six months after it is issued.

Can I apply for and get my marriage license the same day?
No. You can't get a marriage license the same day you apply. Plan to apply at least two weeks before your wedding date. 

Can I get married before I receive the license?

How do I get a certified copy of my marriage certificate?
You must wait at least two weeks after the ceremony before you request a certified copy of the marriage certificate. To request the certified copy, contact:

Office of Vital Statistics
Kansas Department of Health and Environment

What if I don’t have an email address?
Contact the district court in your county for more information.

Kansas district courts

Find a District Court

Back to top