Kansas Judicial Branch Home
Kansas Judicial Branch

The Kansas Supreme Court
301 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka Kansas 66612-1507

Office of Judicial Administration
Fax:  785.296.7076
Email: info@kscourts.org

Appellate Clerk's Office
Fax:  785.296.1028
Email: appellateclerk@kscourts.org

The 4th Judicial District Small Claims Information

Small Claims Forms


The purpose of small claims court is to provide an informal procedure for people to settle small legal disagreements and collections without an attorney. There are no attorneys allowed, unless an attorney is personally suing someone else or someone else is suing an attorney. In that case, the other party is notified that they have the right to have an attorney also, or they can proceed without an attorney. Each person involved in the suit will have the opportunity to go to court and present their side of the case to the District Magistrate Judge. Each side is also allowed to subpoena witnesses and present exhibits to help prove their case. Then, from the evidence provided by each party, the Judge rules on the case.

Procedures may vary from county to county in the state of Kansas. So you could check with the Clerk of the District Court office if you are contemplating filing a small claims case in another county.

Even though you may obtain judgment in Small Claims Court, the Court is not responsible for collections of the same. However, the Clerk of the District Court office will provide written instructions and form packets to assist you in doing garnishments for wages and/or bank accounts or you may obtain the forms from the Kansas Judicial Council website. Forms are also available below for your use.

The job of the Clerk of the District Court personnel is to process cases. They cannot give you legal advice.

For more detailed information please click here.

You may also visit the 4th Judicial district of Kansas website at http://www.franklincoks.org/4thdistrict/index.html.

Small Claims Forms

Choose from PDF for viewing/printing, Rich Text Format for downloading/processing. If you open the forms in Rich Text Format, there may appear to be some differences in the way some of the information appears on the screen. This is because of the differences in computers. You may edit the documents so that the format appears correct on your screen and print out the form.

Small Claims Forms - This is a link of some of the forms that you might need. The link will take you to the Kansas Judicial Council website.

  • Instructions
  • Small Claims Petition
  • Motion and Order of Dismissal
  • Notice of Appeal
  • Satisfaction of Judgment
  • Affidavit for Contempt
  • Instructions - Earnings Garnishment
    1. Earnings-Request for Garnishment
    2. Earnings-Order of Garnishment
    3. Earnings - Answer of Garnishee
    4. Earnings-Instructions to Garnishee
    5. Earnings-Notice to Defendant
    6. Earnings-Request for Hearing
    7. Earnings - Certificate of Service
    8. Release of Garnishment
    9. Accounting Form
    10. Satisfaction of Judgment
  • Instructions - Non-Earnings Garnishment
    1. Non-earnings-Request for Garnishment
    2. Non-earnings-Order of Garnishment
    3. Non-earnings-Answer of Garnishee
    4. Non-earnings-Instructions to Garnishee
    5. Non-earnings-Notice to Judgment Debtor
    6. Non-earnings-Request for Hearing
    7. Non-earnings- Certificate of Service
    8. Release of Garnishment
    9. Accounting Form
    10. Satisfaction of Judgment