Kansas Judicial Branch Home
Kansas Judicial Branch

The Kansas Supreme Court
301 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka Kansas 66612-1507

Office of Judicial Administration
Fax:  785.296.7076
Email: info@kscourts.org

Appellate Clerk's Office
Fax:  785.296.1028
Email: appellateclerk@kscourts.org

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When is my court date?
A. The clerk can provide you your court date when you provide the clerk your name and your case number or case type.

Q. How much do I owe?
A. The clerk can provide you how much you owe the court when you provide the clerk your case number or case type.

Q. Can I get an extension on my speeding ticket?
A. The clerk can grant a onetime continuance for two weeks.

Q. Has my child support been paid?
A. You must contact the Kansas Payment Center, as we normally no longer receive child support payments.
Kansas Payment Center
P.O. Box 758599
Topeka, KS 66675-8599

Q. How can I get my child support lowered or increased?
A. You will need to fill a motion with the court to lower or increase your child support.  There is also a filing fee for post decree motions re: child support, visitation (parenting time) and custody. Although not required, it is recommended that you hire an attorney for this procedure.

Q. I need to know if someone has a case filed against them?  Or a record?
A. You may contact the KBI for criminal record searches. You may also get the form for open records at http://www.kscourts.org

Q. How do I get a divorce without being represented by an attorney?
A. Kansas Legal Services has a page on its website titled All About Divorce. It includes forms, instructions, and access to live help. Another option is the Kansas Judicial Council, which has a page on its website titled Divorce Forms for Self-Represented Parties.

Q. I am the defendant in a civil case.  Will the court appoint a lawyer to represent me?
A. No. The right to appointed counsel applies only in criminal cases.  In civil cases, each party generally must pay his or her own attorney's fees.

Q. May I see juvenile records?
A. Child in Need of Care records (children involved in the child welfare system) are closed to the public.  The official file in juvenile offender cases is open to the public.  The court may close the file when the youth is less than 14 years old and the judge determines that closing the file is in the best interest of the juvenile.  Information about victims and alleged victims of sex offenses are not disclosed or open to the public under any circumstance.

Q. Can I look through a court file?
A. If the file is “open to the public”, you may look at it and photocopy anything from it, but you cannot remove the file from the Clerk’s office.

Q. Can I call or e-mail a records request to the Clerk’s office?
A. Yes, but you may need to complete the form needed to request those records.

Q. If I come to the Clerk’s office in person, can the staff immediately provide me with the record I’m requesting?
A. In most instances, the court will ask you to fill out a record request form. Depending on staffing, accessibility of record requested, and ease of location, it will be provided as soon as reasonably possible