Small Claims

  • Small Claims court is for simple cases to recover money or property worth less than $4,000.00.
  • You cannot be represented by a lawyer in small claims.
  • No person can file more than 20 small claims cases in one calendar year.
  • The Sheriff's office charges a $15.00 fee to personally serve a summons.
  • The filing fees for a small claims case are listed on the Docket Fees page on this website.

Filing a Small Claims Case:

  • Go to the Clerk of the District Court office in the county where the defendant resides or go to the Forms section on this website and obtain or print a Small Claims Petition.
  • You will need the name and address of the person being sued. You will need to provide a street address if requesting personal service so the person can be legally served with the summons.
  • Take the completed Petition to the Clerk of the District Court office. You will need to take the original Petition and a copy for each person you are suing.
  • The Clerk will process the Petition and set a trial date for your case.
  • You will need to pay the filing fee and the sheriff's fee at the time of filing.

For more information go to:

Note: The District Court Clerk's office is PROHIBITED BY LAW from giving ANY legal advice.